What OurPlanet believes about language acquisition – Arabic B and French
The ability to communicate in more than one language is essential to the concept of an international education that promotes intercultural understanding, and is central to the IB’s mission. The study of additional languages in the MYP provides students with the opportunity to develop insights into the features, processes and craft of language and the concept of culture, and to realize that there are diverse ways of living, behaving and viewing the world.
Learning to communicate in a variety of ways is fundamental to students’ identity affirmation.
What is the significance of language acquisition in the MYP?
- is central to developing critical thinking and international-mindedness
- provides an intellectual framework to support personal development, cultural identity and conceptual understanding
- greatly contributes to the holistic development of students and to the strengthening of lifelong learning skills
- equips students with the necessary multiliteracy skills and attitudes to communicate successfully in various global contexts.
The aims of MYP language acquisition are to encourage and enable students to:
- gain proficiency in an additional language while supporting maintenance of their mother tongue and cultural heritage
- develop a respect for, and understanding of, diverse linguistic and cultural heritages
- develop the communication skills necessary for further language learning, and for study, work and leisure in a range of contexts
- develop multiliteracy skills through the use of a range of learning tools
- develop an appreciation of a variety of literary and non-literary texts and to develop critical and creative techniques for comprehension and construction of meaning
- recognize and use language as a vehicle of thought, reflection, self-expression and learning in other subjects
- understand the nature of language and the process of language learning
- gain insight into the cultural characteristics of the communities where the language is spoken
- gain an awareness and understanding of the perspectives of people from own and other cultures
- develop curiosity, inquiry and a lifelong interest in, and enjoyment of, language learning
The MYP promotes inquiry in language acquisition by developing conceptual understanding within global contexts.