Early Years 1 Science
The science component of the PYP is characterized by concepts and skills rather than by content. Therefore, OurPlanet ensures that a breadth and balance of science content is covered through the units of inquiry. The knowledge component of science in the PYP is arranged into four strands:
- Living things
- Earth and Space
- Materials and Matter
- Forces and Energy.
What will students will be working on this year?
Earth and Space
- talk about activities that occur during the day and night
- compare activities that occur during the seasons
- make connections between the weather and how to protect himself or herself
- identify simple patterns in daily and seasonal cycles
- observe the features of the local environment that are affected by daily and seasonal cycles.
- observe the needs of living things that enable them to stay healthy
- observe and describe the characteristics of living and non-living things
- take responsibility for living things found in his or her environment.
- Observe carefully in order to gather data.
- Use scientific vocabulary to explain their observations and experiences.
- Interpret and evaluate data gathered in order to draw conclusions
- Identify or generate a question or problem to be explored.
- Make and test predictions.