PYP2 Grade 2 Arts
At OurPlanet we offer Music, Visual Arts and Drama. Each of these arts is a significant discipline in its own right, but the transdisciplinary nature of arts gives them relevance throughout the curriculum. Arts promote attitudes such as empathy and appreciation, and skills such as analysis, that help us to see the uniqueness of each person as well as explore the commonalities that connect us. Work in arts is a way of conveying meaning, sharing a culture, developing one’s sense of self, and expanding knowledge. It provides opportunity to reflect on aesthetic experience, to engage the imagination and explore what is uncertain. Through engaging with and creating artworks, learners are encouraged to reconsider familiar concepts and think about issues of culture and identity.
What will students will be working on this year?
Music – Responding (Phase 2)
- express their responses to music from different cultures and styles
- recognize music from a basic range of cultures and styles
- explore individually or collectively a musical response to a narrated story
- sing individually and in unison
- share performances with each other and give constructive criticism.
Music – Creating (Phase 2)
- express one or more moods/feelings in a musical composition
- create music to represent different cultures and styles
- explore vocal sounds, rhythms, instruments, timbres to communicate ideas and feelings
- read, write and perform simple musical patterns and phrases
Dance (responding) Phase 2
- identify dance components such as rhythm and use of space in their own and others’ dance creations
- discuss and explain the way ideas, feelings and experiences can be communicated through stories and performance
Dance (Creating) Phase 2
- interpret and communicate feeling, experience and narrative through dance
- design a dance phrase with a beginning, middle and ending
- share dance with different audiences by participating, listening and watching
- work cooperatively towards a common goal, taking an active part in a creative experience
- use performance as a problem-solving tool
- value and develop imaginary roles or situations.