PYP2 (Grade 2) Science
The science component of the PYP is characterized by concepts and skills rather than by content. Therefore, OurPlanet ensures that a breadth and balance of science content is covered through the units of inquiry. The knowledge component of science in the PYP is arranged into four strands:
- Living things
- Earth and Space
- Materials and Matter
- Forces and Energy.
What will students will be working on this year?
- recognize that living things, including humans, need certain resources for energy and growth
- identify the major food groups and be aware of the role they play in human development.
- reflect on the impact of air on living things
- identify the common components of life cycles (for example, birth, growth, maturity, reproduction, death)
Materials and Matter
- investigate and identify the properties of air
- apply his or her understanding about the properties of air (for example, building a windmill)
- explore links between air, light and sound (for example, thunder and lightning).
- investigate ways that familiar materials can be reused
- group materials on the basis of properties for the purpose of recycling
- describe how a particular material is recycled
- explore the role of living things in recycling energy and matter.
- Observe carefully in order to gather data.
- Identify or generate a question or problem to be explored.
- Use a variety of instruments and tools to measure data accurately
- Plan and carry out systematic investigations, manipulating variables as necessary.
- Make and test predictions.
- Interpret and evaluate data gathered in order to draw conclusions.