PYP3 (Grade 3) Arts
At OurPlanet we offer Music, Visual Arts and Drama. Each of these arts is a significant discipline in its own right, but the transdisciplinary nature of arts gives them relevance throughout the curriculum. Arts promote attitudes such as empathy and appreciation, and skills such as analysis, that help us to see the uniqueness of each person as well as explore the commonalities that connect us. Work in arts is a way of conveying meaning, sharing a culture, developing one’s sense of self, and expanding knowledge. It provides opportunity to reflect on aesthetic experience, to engage the imagination and explore what is uncertain. Through engaging with and creating artworks, learners are encouraged to reconsider familiar concepts and think about issues of culture and identity.
What will students will be working on this year?
Music – Responding (Phase 3)
- express their responses to music from different cultures and styles
- sing individually and in unison
- recognize music from a basic range of cultures and styles
- explore individually or collectively a musical response to a narrated story
- reflect on and communicate their reactions to music using musical vocabulary
Music – Creating (Phase 3)
- express one or more moods/feelings in a musical composition
- create music to represent different cultures and styles
- create a soundscape based on personal experiences
- collaboratively create a musical sequence using known musical elements (for example, rhythm, melody, contrast)
Visual Arts – Responding (Phase 3)
- compare, contrast and categorize artworks from a range of cultures, places and times
- provide constructive criticism when responding to artwork.
- recognize that different audiences respond in different ways to artworks
Visual Arts – Creating (Phase 3)
- create artwork for a specific audience
use a range of strategies to solve problems during the creative process.