PYP3 (Grade 3) Science
The science component of the PYP is characterized by concepts and skills rather than by content. Therefore, OurPlanet ensures that a breadth and balance of science content is covered through the units of inquiry. The knowledge component of science in the PYP is arranged into four strands:
- Living things
- Earth and Space
- Materials and Matter
- Forces and Energy.
What will students will be working on this year?
Earth and space (Age 7-9)
- describe how water sustains life
- analyse systems of water storage and usage, both natural and human-made
- explain why fresh water is a limited resource
- identify water issues and propose solutions for responsible, equitable water use (for example, desalination).
Materials and matter (Age 7-9)
- investigate how buildings and other structures stand up (for example, piles, buttresses, I-beam girders)
- investigate the construction of a building or structure and identify the materials used
- critique the impact of a structure on the natural environment
- explain people’s responsibility regarding the use of materials from the environment.
- Observe carefully in order to gather data.
- Identify or generate a question or problem to be explored.
- Use a variety of instruments and tools to measure data accurately
- Plan and carry out systematic investigations, manipulating variables as necessary.
- Make and test predictions.
Interpret and evaluate data gathered in order to draw conclusions.