PYP6 (Grade 6) Arts
At OurPlanet we offer Music, Visual Arts and Drama. Each of these arts is a significant discipline in its own right, but the transdisciplinary nature of arts gives them relevance throughout the curriculum. Arts promote attitudes such as empathy and appreciation, and skills such as analysis, that help us to see the uniqueness of each person as well as explore the commonalities that connect us. Work in arts is a way of conveying meaning, sharing a culture, developing one’s sense of self, and expanding knowledge. It provides opportunity to reflect on aesthetic experience, to engage the imagination and explore what is uncertain. Through engaging with and creating artworks, learners are encouraged to reconsider familiar concepts and think about issues of culture and identity.
What will students be working on this year?
Music – Responding (Phase 4)
- explain the role and relevance of music in their own culture, its uses and associations through place and time
- explore different artistic presentations that are/ were innovative and their implications.
- sing individually and in harmony
Music – Creating (Phase 4)
- incorporate the other arts and available resources in order to broaden their creative expression
- create music that will be continually refined after being shared with others
- present, in small groups, innovative musical performances on a selected issue
Visual Arts – Responding (Phase 3)
- compare, contrast and categorize artworks from a range of cultures, places and times
- provide constructive criticism when responding to artwork.
- recognize that different audiences respond in different ways to artworks
Visual Arts – Creating (Phase 3)
- create artwork for a specific audience
- use a range of strategies to solve problems during the creative process.